Thursday, April 2, 2020

Book Review #26 - My Story/En Kadhai/Ente Katha by Kamala Suraiyya Das

Buy My Story Book Online at Low Prices in India | My Story Reviews ...

என் கதை by Kamala Suraiyya DasMy rating: 5 of 5 stars



An explicit biography published February 1st 1973. Kamala Das (born Kamala; 31 March 1934 - 31 May 2009) was short-listed for the Nobel Prize for Literature and is probably the first Hindu woman to talk openly about desires of Indian woman.
Originally published as Ente Katha in Malayalam, I read the Tamil version finely translated by Nirmalya and published by Kalachuvadu Publications.

Review

For many readers this will be the first time they read such a content from an Indian author.
Begins her childhood, an early marriage, frequent shifts to cities, her love of books, writing, loneliness, depression, health and also some lights on places like Kolkata, Bombay and Delhi.
She was born into a conservative family in Kerala and her life took turns in exploring the desires of women which makes me wonder how the book got received when it published.

Quote from the book

'Wipe out of the paints unmold the clay
Let nothing remain of that yesterday'

A Google Doodle Honour
Google Doodle on Kamala Das

 “I speak three languages, write in two, dream in one,”


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment